Not guilty verdict reached in 2021 Savannah homicide case

by Madalyn Bierster

SAVANNAH, Ga. (WTOC) - A Chatham County jury found Michael Cimato not guilty on two charges — malice murder and concealing the death of another — in a case stemming from the 2021 death of a Savannah man.

Deliberations began just after 12:30 p.m. Thursday and the jury returned its verdict in less than three hours, acquitting Cimato on both counts.

The case dates back to Aug. 8, 2021, and centers on the death of 51-year-old Calvin Owens. Owens was found dead under the back porch of a home on McIntyre Street in Savannah.

Prosecutors alleged Cimato killed Owens and then tried to dismember and hide the body — an accusation investigators testified was supported by evidence collected at the scene.

During testimony, jurors heard details about the investigation, including evidence suggesting a possible attempt to dismember Owens’ body.

Investigators testified that Owens’ hand had been removed, and authorities said a machete allegedly tied to the case was recovered from beneath a mattress where Cimato was said to have been sleeping.

According to testimony, the weapon contained the victim’s blood and DNA linked to the suspect.

Despite the evidence and the charges filed, the jury ultimately found Cimato not guilty of malice murder and not guilty of concealing the death of another.

The verdict closes a case that has been pending for nearly five years and drew attention for the graphic allegations raised during trial testimony.

Royce Abbott
Royce Abbott

Advisor | License ID: 438255

+1(912) 438-9043 | royce.abbottjr@engelvoelkers.com

GET MORE INFORMATION

Name
Phone*
Message