Flight to take Korean nationals detained in Hyundai raid back home cancelled

by WTOC Staff, Christopher Teuton, Shea Schrader

ATLANTA, Ga. (WTOC) - The Korean Air aircraft which landed at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport earlier today is still at the airport.

However, today’s planned departure at 2:30 p.m. is not happening.

“The charter operation to transport ICE detainees and the departure planned for 2:30 p.m. has been cancelled for today,” a spokesperson told WTOC in a statement.

“Please note, details may change at any moment,” the spokesperson added.

The Korean Air charter plan was brought to the US in order to bring back Korean workers detained in an immigration raid at the Hyundai megasite last week.

A total of 475 workers, more than 300 of them South Koreans, were rounded up in the Sept. 4 raid at the battery factory under construction at Hyundai’s sprawling auto plant.

ICE says everyone detained in the raid were either undocumented, or working on improper documentation.

We spoke with an immigration attorney on Tuesday who explained some of those detained were working to provide proprietary expertise needed to get the HL-GA Battery Company, where the raid happened, up and running.

US authorities released video showing some being shackled with chains around their hands, ankles and waists, causing shock and a sense of betrayal among many in South Korea, a key US ally.

South Korea’s government later said it reached an agreement with the US for the release of the workers.

Georgia Senator Jon Ossoff weighed in on the situation Wednesday, saying at this point, there are too many unanswered questions.

“We need answers both from Hyundai and LG in response to these allegations of violations at the construction site, and we need more information from DHS about the raid and who they targeted and on what basis. Georgia employers need to follow US labor law. We need more information from the companies, and from DHS,” says Ossoff.

Ossoff went on to add despite the uncertainty of the situation, diplomacy must prevail.

“We need really high level engagement between the US and the Korean government in order to ensure these facilities, which promise to employ thousands of Georgian in manufacturing jobs in the near future, are completed. This is still a massive job creator once these plants are done in the State of Georgia, and right now with the diplomatic tensions running high, we need to make sure there is really strong communication between those two governments,” Ossoff says.

A spokesperson for Governor Brian Kemp released a statement today, highlighting the importance of Georgia maintaining a strong relationship with Korea and Korean partners:

“Georgia has always worked to maintain a strong relationship with the Republic of Korea and Korean partners like Hyundai, stretching back 40 years to the establishment of Georgia’s trade office in Seoul. We are thankful they are reiterating their commitment to adhere to all state and federal laws, just as we remain committed to not allowing this unfortunate incident to undo the decades of mutually beneficial partnerships we’ve built together. We celebrate the ongoing production at the Metaplant since late 2024, and we look forward to the completion of the battery facility as part of the largest economic development project in state history. This generational project has already created more than 2,800 long-term Georgia jobs, and along with suppliers, thousands more jobs will be coming to hardworking Georgians who have called the state home for years. As President Trump has also noted, our relationships with the government and businesses of Korea stand on a firm foundation, and we will move forward in building on that foundation.”

Spokesperson for Governor Brian Kemp

Royce Abbott
Royce Abbott

Advisor | License ID: 438255

+1(912) 438-9043 | royce.abbottjr@engelvoelkers.com

GET MORE INFORMATION

Name
Phone*
Message