Pooler approves purchase of 28 acres near Tom Triplett Park at discounted price
POOLER, Ga. (WTOC) - Pooler city leaders approved a purchase agreement Monday for roughly 28 acres of land in front of Tom Triplett Park.
The land sits directly between the park and its entrance. The city is buying the undeveloped property at a discount from its $12 million appraisal, paying $1.5 million thanks to a charitable contribution from Pooler resident and Atlantic Waste Services CEO Ben Wall.
“I said I’d like to get a million and a half for it and the rest can be a donation and a gift to the city,” Wall said.
The purchase comes after months of protests and concerns from residents about rapid development around parks like Tom Triplett. Wooded areas have become rare in the city, according to residents.
“I think it’s pretty monumental,” said Jeffrey Beauvais, a 100 Miles north coast member. “It’s a good first step but there’s quite a bit more to do.”
Residents question three-year minimum requirement
Some residents remain skeptical despite the city approving the sale. In the agreement, the city only has to keep the land as public property for a minimum of three years.
“They’re doing it with this stipulation and they know that in three years it can revert to be sold for profit so that’s not a sign of good faith,” said Uma Nagaraj, a Pooler resident.
Nagaraj has over a decade of experience practicing government and administrative law. She said the city’s trend of overdevelopment in the area means the land won’t stay undeveloped for long.
“In my mind, it’s not just a possibility it’s an actuality, this is just delaying selling the land to be developed commercially,” Nagaraj said.
Reviews are mixed due to the city’s expansion of funds for conservation and preservation initiatives. This land is the second purchase under that fund expansion. The first was 35 acres of wetlands off Pine Barren Road.
“The City of Pooler began discussions late last year regarding the expansion of the tree fund’s use for conservation and preservation initiatives. The fund is supported by development-related revenue rather than taxpayer dollars, and the revised tree fund policy was formally approved by the City Council in March.
On National Arbor Day, the City completed its first acquisition under the updated policy with the purchase of 35 acres of wetlands and woodlands off Pine Barren Road. In addition, the second most recent property considered by the City was identified in response to public concern about preserving the natural buffer surrounding Tom Triplett Park. The Council’s approval of the property acquisition reflects the City’s continued commitment to conservation and preservation efforts. Once finalized, the purchase will increase the total amount of green space preserved through the tree fund to nearly 65 acres, helping protect these natural areas for future generations."
Mayor Karen L. Williams
Recent Posts











